Tuesday, March 15, 2011

The luscious blonde waves that cascade down her back, those perfectly toned arms that swear they're the product of a well balanced diet and ample exercising, not to mention a closet full of any fashion girl's dream garments--it goes without saying that I have been envious of Blake "Serena" Lively. 


In middle school I was a devout reader of Cecily Von Ziegesar's Gossip Girl, so naturally, when the series became a hit TV show, I was hooked. Serena van der Woodsen, in a total "girl crush" way, was immediately the object of my desire. I wanted to dress, eat, drink, and be just like her. OK, that's an exaggeration, but you get the gist. And like all little girls, when we find a star whose character we just love, some of us may or may not convince ourselves that said actor/actress is truly a down to earth and wonderful person off set. Such was true for my girl crush on Blake. 


A couple weeks back, I read an article in the NY Times (Golden Girl, by Irina Aleksander) about a debut party Chanel hosted welcoming Blake as the face of their new line of Mademoiselle handbags. When being asked about other campaign opportunities she's been offered, Lively said,  “I had other opportunities and I would say, ‘Thank you so much, but I am holding out for Chanel, that’s who I want to be the face of. And people would say, ‘Well, that’s unrealistic, they only hire Europeans,’ and I said: ‘Well, how great. I’ll be the first then.’ ”


Is there not something totally and completely arrogant about her words? This really just itched me the wrong way. Anyone else have the same reaction? Thoughts?

4 comments:

  1. I think it's cool that she stuck out for what she wanted. I imagine those other offers were pretty awesome too, but she didn't let herself get tempted by anything but her dream. I admire that.

    Then again, I am definitely a fan of hers so I might be biased.

    ReplyDelete
  2. alex, I don't think she was trying to be arrogant, the person talking to her was clearly trying to be a snob, so in her own way of biting back, she was a little over-confident back :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Personally, when I just read this quote, I took it sarcastically. Obviously I don't know how exactly she said it, but to me, it wasn't meant as arrogant but as proud to be the face of Chanel. I honestly think it's a joke.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Alex, I agree with you. When I read what Blake said, I was disappointed and thought it was really arrogant. It made me rethink my opinion of her, and I definitely have lost some respect for her. Definitely rubbed me the wrong way!

    ReplyDelete